The ratio of people who complain to have back pain when standing is quite common among senior people. According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke report, more than 75 percent of people deal with lower back pain, especially when they are standing.
To solve your sore and aching back, we have listed down some common causes and effective treatments to help you fight your pain.
Your posture is the main thing that can lead to a healthier back or an unhealthy back. Your posture is the first thing you should work on to kick off your hurting back. The more you enhance it, the more your back will be at ease. Likewise, the more you will put the stress onto it, the more chances to have lower back pain. So, be cautious about your posture while standing and walking. Typically, when you stand, an extra amount of pressure is put on your spinal cord, making your lower back stiff muscles.
Major causes of such a condition are;
- Muscle strains or sprains that formed due to stretched back ligaments cause backache.
- Extra pressure on the back muscles also results in lower back pain.
- An illness called ‘Spinal Stenosis causes pain, which is a narrowing of the spaces within your spine, which can pressure the nerves that travel through the spine. Spinal stenosis occurs most often in the lower back and the neck.
- Degenerative disc disease causes the spinal discs to break down. It decreases the space between the discs and their adjoining problematic nerves.
The pain should be treated when it is less and bearable. Following are few home remedies you should adopt to relieve your back;
- If you stand for a longer time, the pain is possible to instigate in your lower back. So, the instant solution is to reduce your standing duration and take breaks in between for relaxing and releasing the pressure off your muscles.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are also effective in curing your pain. These pain-relieving drugs include Naproxen (Aleve) and ibuprofen (Mortin, Advil).
- Frequent lifting of heavy objects must be avoided. If there is a need to do so, keep your posture right.
- Regularly do exercise and stretches to soothe your back and body. It is better to consult your therapist or doctor when doing stretches and exercises. Though stretching and exercising are beneficial, some of them can increase your discomfort instead of reducing it. For instance, toe touches and sit-ups can be harmful. Also, make sure to practice slow stretches, or else your pain will grow worse.
- If you are suffering from obesity, then definitely your muscles would be in great trouble. Try to overcome this problem and lose weight immediately.
- As mentioned above, your posture matters and is significant for evenly distributing weight in your body. So, always sit and stand with your back straight.
- Your mattress is another key element that needs to be according to your type. Get a mattress that supports your back and relieves your pain.
- Regular massage and healing therapies can be useful in providing your back relief. Hence, practice gentle massaging and use heating pads to feel better and healthier.
- Acupuncture technique is used to reduce inflammation in your back muscles. In this, acupuncture needles are inserted, altering the nerves’ reaction towards the decrease of lower back pain.
If the remedies mentioned above do not improve your spine’s painful condition, go for medical help as soon as possible. Follow the medications prescribed by the doctor, such as;
- Pain relievers
- Muscle relaxants to relieve stiffness
- Cortisone injections (help in reducing inflammation)